Olympus Ranch Stables

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The Golden Boy

It was fairly warm when I got home from work and Hubby (the awesomest hubby ever) had dinner ready when I got home so I could have time to work Varro in addition to all the barn chores. (Side note: It was Cherry Glazed Pork Chops with Home Fries and Roasted Broccoli and it was phenomenal.) I ate dinner and headed outside. Here is a breakdown of my night:

The flies were horrible so I took Varro to the round pen and did a quick groom plus fly spray so he could pay attention more easily. Once he was fly free we went to work. I had him walk about 6 or 7 laps in each direction. He was not anxious to break a sweat so I didn't have to worry about him acting like a jerk to burn off extra energy. After the short warm up we moved on to a trot, again 6 or 7 laps in each direction. After the trot I called him in and did a few desensitization exercises with him. (See Clinton Anderson for some of the things I did with him.)

After the desensitization (which was secretly a chance for both of us to catch our breath) I moved on to cantering in each direction. I then worked on his trot/canter transitions for a few minutes and finally ended with a nice walking cool down. Varro was a bit sweaty, as he was working for about 25 minutes, so I gave him a nice rinse off and more fly spray.

He was such a good boy. He was attentive and willing to try whatever I asked of him. He will have tomorrow off and it will be Aspen's turn, but on Thurs, I think Varro will do some work with his new surcingle on. I'm shooting for our first ride to be a week from Saturday.

It's good to be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment