Olympus Ranch Stables

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Aspen is a super easy keeper. If I walk past her stall with a bale of hay, she will gain 30 pounds. She is a very good eater and not very picky at all. She has always been very easy to keep weight on and I have never worried about her not eating for any reason:


Here is a picture of Aspen 3 years ago. Note the healthy weight and nice ba-donk-a-donk. Things only got "better" 3 years later:


Sephy seems to have inherited her mother's love for food. At just a few days old, she started nibbling on Aspen's grain mix. After about a week of that I decided to put out a separate feeder and give Sephy her own "handful" of grain mix. She ate a bite or two and Aspen ate the rest of it, so a few days ago, instead of putting more feed out I simple took a small scoop from Aspen's mix and put it in Sephy's bucket. Now, at 2 1/2 weeks old, Sephy gives Aspen a run for her money eating dinner! The proof is in the pudding so to speak!


Sephy is growing like a weed and I am now on the last hole of her "Foal" sized halter. I have ordered a weanling size halter, but might need to stop at the feed store on my way home and get a yearling size!

No comments:

Post a Comment