Olympus Ranch Stables

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Brat Attack

Varro was a complete and utter BRAT tonight during our ride. Let me start from the beginning:

I went to his stall and called him from his turnout. He came right up to me and put his head in the halter. I thought to myself, this is going to be a great night! (how wrong I was) I took him to the grooming area and started brushing him out and he would not stand still, at all. I thought to myself that maybe I should have lunged him first, but was still optimistic about our ride. I finally got him tacked up and went to the arena to lunge him.

He was a good boy! He did everything I asked and was having a good time. There was another horse in the arena (a young green broke OTTB) and Varro was polite and didn't act up...until they left the arena. He started bucking and whooping it up. I thought "Oh boy, here we go!" We lunged for another 15 or 20 minutes and then I bridled him up and get ready to get on. He would not stand still at the mounting block but I managed to get on and he was NOT wanting to work at all.

I started with walking the short ends and trotting the diagonals. He immediately started bucking and carrying on when I asked for a trot. BRAT! Every time I asked for a trot he would buck and act the fool. We did some collected walk, free walk transitions and I finally got some good trotting out of him. When I asked for a nice relaxed walk, more attitude! REALLY??? I spent the next 15 minutes trying to find a positive stopping point! UGH!

Once I had even the slightest try on his part, I pat his neck told him he was a good boy and hopped off. Then he lost his bloody mind! He was sooo uppity that I could not take his bridle off and put his halter on. So, I said, " You wanna be a brat? You'll be a sweaty brat!" I lunged him until he was tired and covered in sweat. He was still a bit excited but controllable. I took him back to the barn and untacked him and groomed him until he had cooled down some. I put him to bed with dinner and put his blanket on and headed for home.

I'm still a little frustrated, but honestly I can't expect him to be a first class citizen until I have been working him regularly! Tomorrow is Aspen's turn! I sure hope she is better than he was!

1 comment:

  1. It's tough when you aren't able to have a consistent schedule, but herd-bound horses drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete