Olympus Ranch Stables

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Back in Training!

Varo and I had our first lesson here in Washington State. We both worked super hard and I know I will be sore in the morning! Our new trainer "A" is wonderful. We started out working on the trot and addressing some of the things Varro does to evade working, such as throwing his outside shoulder out to evade an inside bend. We did a lot of trot work (with very few walk breaks) until both Varro and I were working well together. We worked on transitioning to the canter some and Varro threw a bucking fit! He thought we should have been done after the walk break we had after working on the trot. We kept working on having a "good" canter until he was doing fairly willing transitions. I can tell we need a lot of work on our canter. (or at least our endurance)

The lesson was about an hour and 15 minutes long! WHEW! I haven't had that long of a ride in a while! I can tell we will make some great progress in the next few months. I have decided to get a monthly haul-in pass so I can go ride in the arena whenever I want. It is a lovely covered and lighted indoor arena with very nice footing. My hubby came along and took some pictures of our cool down.



1 comment:

  1. Glad you're able to get back into the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete