Olympus Ranch Stables

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Finding the "New Normal"

This 1400 mile move has been pretty stressful on the whole family, the 4 legged members especially. Varro and Aspen have become quite buddy sour when they were not before the move. In fact, in California, they didn't really like each other much! With all the unpacking and setting up the horse facilities, I have not had the opportunity to make a new "set schedule." I know I enjoy a routine just as much as my horses do. It tends to comfort us all...

With that little lead in, I am happy to announce that the arena is set up! I put all 3 horses in it last night and they will stay there until they have grazed the grass down enough to actually ride in.
The grass is up to 3-4 feet tall towards the back of the arena so I expect it to take them a few weeks to graze it down. Once it is short enough to ride in, I will set up my letters and start getting serious about getting Varro ready to show. He has lost a lot of weight during this move as well as muscle tone so the road back to showing will be a long one. The bugs here are eating him alive so he got a brand new fly sheet. It seems to be working pretty well.

Epona is just happy to be here. She has such an easy going attitude. She was hauled up here by a pro as I did not want to make that drive again! That hauler was impressed with how well behaved she was and how easily she adapted to life on the road. I was happy to hear that. She is going be a super horse when she grows up! I just hope I can do her justice!

I hope you all have a great week! Keep calm and just ride!

2 comments: