Olympus Ranch Stables

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dual Post

Firstly I would like to welcome home Apollo! He was an "unsuccessful" placement. I got Apollo a little over a year ago with a torn suspensory ligament. He was in rehab with me and is now sound for trails. His ligament did heal contracted so he does have a slight hitch in is giddy-up LOL. He is a BIG 17.2 and can be pushy if you don't set boundaries right of the bat. I LOVE HIM! Here are a few pictures of him when he got off the trailer!
The boys are back together again!

Apollo back in his old stomping grounds.

Varro wants to play. I think he missed Apollo.

Best buds just hanging out!
 
Now on to #1 of the 14 Photo Challenge!
1. Your horse's stall


This is Varro's "stall." In the high desert of Southern California it is rare that one actually has a BARN. The weather is usually very very nice so one isn't really needed. So, Varro's "stall" is 24 x 72. During the winter he spends the nights in his stall and his days in the turnout. 
This is the turn out. It is 72 x 120. Plenty of room to run and play. I usually only turnout 2 or 3 horses at a time. During the summers, my horses spend the days in their stalls and nights out in the turnout.

2 comments:

  1. Have you had any issues with sand colic? It's amazing how different the living arrangements for our horses can be depending on where in the country/world we live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is always a concern out in my neck of the woods. I have not had any problems with sand colic but I also take extreme measures for it NOT to be a problem and am ever vigilant. Firstly I make sure that my horses have hay to munch on 24 hours a day so something is moving through their digestion system at all times. I also give them a weekly dose of "Sand Free." (psyllium) I also do a feed through daily wormer as well as a paste rotation every 3 months. Last year I planted a small turnout with Bermuda grass and during the summers they get to graze on it every other day.

      Delete