Olympus Ranch Stables

Friday, January 17, 2014

#2 Your Favorite Saddle Pad

This is an easy one. My favorite pad is my Blue Plaid Roma. It fits Varro so well. His withers are quite high and some of the other pads I have tried seem to pinch his withers a bit. Here is the handsome Varro modeling my favorite pad:

See how it just hugs the curves of his back? I think he is quite comfortable in this pad. Now, I also use a sheepskin half pad on him but it is not my favorite pad!

I am finally getting into a really good schedule. I just run out of steam by the end of the day to blog about it! LOL I have been round penning Apollo everyday since his arrival. I am a bit dismayed to see that his ligament seems to be more contracted than when he left here. His hoof range of motion is stiffer. So, the plan is to restart his basic rehab and get him on some good supplements.  Anyone have any suggestions? Before and after our round pen sessions, I stretch out that leg and pastern. In the round pen I always start with him walking for at least 5 minutes in each direction then ask him for a slow trot for another 5 min on each side. I am hoping the easy but consistent exercise will help that ligament loosen back up.

While this picture is super cute, and shows how much the boys love each other, I want to point out Apollo's left hind. He always stands with it cocked up like that. That is the leg with the ligament injury. It has healed contracted. Anyone have suggestions for supplements? Exercises? Stretches? Ideas on how to help him to have a better range of motion? ANY help would be MUCHLY appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a good plan for it--just lots of stretching and slow work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I can't be of much help with this one as I just don't know much about that kind of injury. I would think stretching and moving would be the best thing for it. I just don't know how much supplements can help that kind of thing. Might be worth asking a vet about.

    Glad you are getting into a good routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet was out a couple of months ago for his adoption physical. She was a big part of his rehab for the last year. I am already doing the things she suggested but thought someone out there might have more ideas :-) She also suggested a good joint supplement and I had him on SmartPak Rehab.

      Delete
  3. I don't know much about ligament injuries either, but stretching sounds good.

    ReplyDelete