Olympus Ranch Stables

Monday, December 30, 2013

The catch up post

It has been a few days since my last post. It seems that my camera is MIA! (Missing in action) I kept hoping it would appear so I could take those pictures I have been promising but alas, not yet. So, I will have to just report on my rides:

I have been on a few rides since my last post. I had a lovely arena workout with Varro on Thursday. He was willing a forward! I have noticed that I am using the reins too much for my own balance... UGH! I thought I was getting better at that.... I am a little frustrated about it. On the diagonals I would ask Woobie to really power up and extend himself. He would push right into the contact and go! When he really got going, I felt as if he was going to pop me out of the saddle and I couldn't keep up... I used the reins for balance, pulling on his mouth and he would respond with an almost halt. I NEED to be a better rider NOW! It is not fair to him! SO FRUSTRATED!

The next ride Varro was less willing to be so forward (can you really blame him?) We did a few circles etc. and then went on a 2.5 hour trail ride. He was very good and enjoyed it. His head was nice an low (not a giraffe) and he just plodded along! Nothing seemed to bother him!

Our last ride was about 15-20 min in the arena...He seemed off. I would ask him to trot and he was sluggish, didn't push at all from his hind end, very short strides. I got off and check for stones in his hooves, heat in his legs etc. and didn't notice anything! I got back on and decided to go for a short trail ride. He was slow and sluggish out on trail too. We were only out for about 30 min. I think he was just stiff/sore from our super long tail ride. I gave him a good rub down with some liniment and gave him some turn out time. I gave him yesterday off so hope that today he is feeling better.

Let's hope that pesky camera shows up soon!

3 comments:

  1. Hope you find your camera!

    Don't let your frustration get you too down! Keep practicing. I find the post two beats and sit one exercise to really help my balance at the trot. You'll get there, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the up up down! I do it most every day! Maybe I should do it for a longer length of time... Thank you so much for the support. I will get in a better ride today! :-)

      Delete