Olympus Ranch Stables

Monday, December 16, 2013

Another Beautiful Day

It is just like a gorgeous Spring day here and Varro was awesome today! First, I want to let you all know about my recent fitness quest. 2 years ago I had a serious back injury and have been fighting "The Battle of the Bulging Breeches" ever since. Earlier this year I got spinal injections and so far the pain has been greatly reduced! Last week my sister turned me on to a new fitness site: www.myfitnesspal.com (It's kind of like Facebook for fitness) Anyway, I created a profile and have tried to stick to being a healthier version of myself.... Drum roll please... I lost 5 pounds this week! WAHOOO!!!

OK So, on to the reason you are reading this blog. My ride on Varro was wonderful! I was expecting him to be a little argumentative since it has been over a week since we have had a good arena workout. I started out with A LOT of walking as a warm up. Like 10 minutes of collected and free walking. Woobie was a little resistant in the beginning and DID NOT want to trot. He turned himself into a pretzel to keep from having to work. I immediately went into the up up down exercise. This seems to calm him down and give him something to focus on rather than being a brat. It really helps me too. My legs were a but weak as I did do a 2 mile run this morning.... It took me one diagonal to get my timing down and Varro really started his power trot on the second diagonal! We ended up doing a lot for trot work. I did a lot of different patterns trying to change it up to keep him guessing what I was going to ask next. This approach really made a difference. He was attentive and just powered from his hind end! Once we were both breathing fairly hard I slowed to a walk and let  him take the reins.

I finished off the workout with him walking around the property to cool off. There is a particular "scary" place over by the chicken coop that Woobie is certain is home to a Palomino Horse Eating Monster. I tried to walk him by it and he had a fit... I guess he wasn't tired enough. I got off and walked him back and forth several times and let him sniff around. Once he settled down I called it good for the day! Can't wait for tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I used to use myfitnesspal but got soooo lazy and quit. Also I'm super jealous of your weather! The high today here was in the low 20's :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the weight loss! I need to start running again but our treadmill is broken and I refuse to run outside with snow on the ground if I don't have to. I'm just not that motivated these days.

    I love the up up down exercise. It really helps my core and my balance. Now to just find time and motivation to ride more in this cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! The only reason I am running is because I have a treadmill... lol I do the up up down every time I ride and just LOVE it too!

      Delete