Olympus Ranch Stables

Saturday, November 23, 2013

It Is Raining!

It has been raining for 2 days now! A soft, steady rain. We need the moisture so bad! What does this mean to you? Well, it means I do not have any exciting rides to report.... So, you might be a bit bored reading this post.

I thought I would solicit some advice about winter feeding and share what I feed for winter. Each of my horses have their own custom diet/feed so for this post I will focus on Varro. Varro is a 13 year old Swedish Warmblood x Arabian. We ride nearly everyday and he is currently in very good weight. The foundation of my feeding program starts with quality Bermuda hay available 24 x 7.

Let's start with morning feeding: Varro gets about 1 pound of Safe Choice Original, 1 cup of dry beet pulp shreds that have been soaked in warm water, and 1 scoop of Smartlyte (electrolytes by SmartPak). I also add enough warm water to make it the consistency like oatmeal, mix it all up and serve! Varro LOVES it!

The evening feeding goes about the same way. He gets about 1.5 pounds of Safe Choice Original, 1 cup of beet pulp soaked in warm water, 1 pound of AB Pellets, 1 scoop of Platinum Performance Equine and last but not least, 1 flake of alfalfa. I also mix warm water in the evening feed, my boy is so spoiled!

What do you feed to help maintain your pony during the winter?
Wooly Woobie!

4 comments:

  1. Loki is on Kalm Ultra (http://www.tributehorsefeeds.com/catalog/performance/kalm-ultra-t91212-1/) from Tribute feeds. He gets one full can (for some reason we've always used coffee cans to measure feed instead of scoops. I'm not sure what the equivalent scoop is.) He gets two-three flakes of an alfalfa mix hay and he gets glanzen and tractgard in smartpaks. He gets the same thing in the evening minus the smartpaks and he is out on pasture at least 8-12 hours. Last winter we had to add a half can of beet pulp to his diet because he lost weight. I'm hoping he won't need it this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great feeding program. I wish I had a real pasture for my guys! There is no "real" pasture out here in the high desert, but I did plant about a 1/2 acre turnout with Bermuda grass this year! Next year it should be ready to have horses graze on it! Until then I make sure they have grass hay in front of them all the time :-)

      Delete
  2. Simon's winter feed stays the same but he gets more square bales than he would usually. Even so, he's looking a tad thin so I need to talk to my trainer about bumping him up a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "old guy" was a hard keeper during the winter and would loose weight. I learned that if I added the Alfalfa/Bermuda Pellets (AB pellets) to everyone's grain mix during the winter no one lost any weight :-)

      Delete