Olympus Ranch Stables

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Great Lesson Considering...

I have not ridden Varro all week. He was quite "spirited" this morning. We spent about 45 minutes in the round pen before I could even tack up! We spent another 15 minutes on the lunge line. I was expecting lots of arguments and "fake" spooks. But NO!

My incredible trainer Liz had a brilliant plan for our lesson. We rode pattern intro C at first a walk then a trot. Varro actually had a walk! I was astonished! He was on the bit, more or less, and kept a really nice tempo. He got sticky in one spot but Liz quickly talked me through it. We had 2 really nice halts too! I left the arena on a free rein to pick up the trot to re-enter and do the same pattern.

His trot was gorgeous! He kept balanced and steady almost the entire pattern! He was strong and straight on the straight lines and we did have a bit of a bobble on the first turn to the right. (to my surprise my fault, but more on that later in my light bulb segment) Very productive.

Last but not least we worked on the canter. We just did 20 m circles at E. I was to ask for a BIGGER and BIGGER trot until Varro broke into a canter and then ride it and encourage it. He did very well but I felt as if he were falling into the circle.... which leads me to this weeks light bulb.

I have been "over looking" my focus points!!!! Yes!!! Varro falling into the circle is ALL my fault! I have been focusing on the next point of the movement, not the movement I am riding! AH-HA! I got it now! I need to focus and where my horse is vice where I want him at the end of the move! For example, if we are riding a 20 m circle I tend look at least a 1/4 circle ahead if not almost 1/2 a circle! I AM CAUSING HIM TO FALL IN! What I should be focused on is where he is now and the next few steps! Like Liz says, "The circle isn't going anywhere Sandy. Where is your horse!" I love my trainer! Lots to work on this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment