Olympus Ranch Stables

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The New, New Normal

For the past 2 or 3 years I have been joking around (kind of) that the back pain I have is my new normal. Well, after my appointment this afternoon I have high hopes of a new, new normal that doesn't involve so much pain! After a rather lengthy visit with the Dr we came up with a plan to help minimize my pain and increase my activity level! Today I got acupuncture tacks in my ears..... Yes, that's right in my ears! They are just like those little circle band aids except the have a tiny needle in the center. There are 3 band aid tacks in each ear that I am to wear for the next 4-7 days. Whenever the pain gets "too intense" I am to lightly press on the top band aid tack for 5 seconds to get some relief. Cool eh?

The second tool in my search for a new normal is a machine that has electrodes to attach to the areas in my back that hurt. It sends pulses of electricity that tense the muscles and helps the nerves. I used it on the ride home and felt soooo much better for about 20 minutes! I'll take it!

The last item is, I got a Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection. This is going to be a 3 step process. The second injection is scheduled for 6 weeks from now. During this 6 week period, I can do NO impact/very low impact exercises like Yoga, elliptical or water aerobics. I connot ride :-( I am also to keep a Activity/Pain Journal to let the Dr know how this tratment is working. The moral of this story is, I am on my way to a new, new normal!

The plan for the boys is to do a lot of ground work with them and a lot of de-spooking. I can't wait to get back into the saddle again! 6 weeks and counting!

1 comment:

  1. It will be worth it give up 6 weeks now for better results later. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete